Monday, October 1, 2012

Synchronicity


The young dog jumped up and strained at the end of her leash, tail wagging so fast it was almost a blur. Her friendly beagle face smiled up at me as I walked past the outdoor table where her owner and a couple of friends were chatting over their Sunday morning coffee. I smiled down at the beagle and went inside the coffee shop. 

I got my latte and sank into an easy chair to enjoy it. As I finished my drink, I heard a crash and the unmistakable sound of dishes breaking outside. I glanced out the window. The exuberant young beagle had apparently knocked over a small metal table, causing the mugs and saucers on top of it to fly off and smash on the sidewalk. A college student led the beagle by her leash away from the broken glass while her boyfriend stooped to pick up the pieces. Another friend who was sitting at their table came inside the coffee shop to tell the owner about the mishap.

The beagle stood next to her owner with her head down and her tail between her legs. I’ve always been a rescuer and a comforter of the crestfallen. I remembered that I had a dog biscuit in my purse that someone had given me the previous day at an art fair. One of the artists, obviously a dog lover, was giving away the home baked canine treats in little zip lock baggies that also contained a business card with information about the artist’s website. I had intended to gift my own dog with the treat, but forgot about it by the time I got home.

So I went outside to the dog’s owner and asked if I could give her dog a treat. What’s her name, I asked. Lily, the college student replied. I bent to stroke the beagle’s head and tell her she was beautiful. Her face reminded me so much of other beagles in my past. Some of those memories are fond, a few are sad, and others are bittersweet.  I handed the biscuit to the owner and explained to her how I got it. She and her friend smiled and thanked me. 

As I walked back to my car, I thought about synchronicity.  Beagles have come and gone from my life, as well as a blue heeler dog named Lily. But nothing is ever really gone. Whatever is lost comes back around in another form. An artist gave me a dog biscuit, and I met a beagle named Lily who needed to be given a treat. It worked out perfectly. One moment of our lives flows into the next, today becomes tomorrow, and tomorrow becomes the day after. We can trust that our needs will be met and that whatever comes along, it will all be okay. All beings are a part of the whole. Everything works together in the long run to create our highest good, and in spite of a few sad memories and broken coffee mugs, it’s all wonderful.  

No comments: